Opening in 1921, AVUS (Automobil-Verkehrs-und Übungs-Straße) was devised by the AvD as a motorsport venue and test track for the motor industry. This unusually shaped racetrack had two long straights approximately 6 miles long linked at each end by flat, large, radius curves. In 1926, the track hosted the first German Grand Prix won by Rudolf Caracciola in a Mercedes-Benz.
In 1927, the North curve was turned into the now-famous, steep-banked turn in a effort to make AVUS the world’s fastest racetrack. After WWII, the long straights were halved in length and a new south turn added reducing the track length to just over 5 miles. In 1959, AVUS hosted its only world championship Formula 1 race—the 1959 German Grand Prix won by Tony Brooks in a Ferrari. This scene is depicted in this wonderful painting by Paul Dove titled “Heroes of Avus” and available from Historic Car Art.
To order, contact:
Historic Car Art
Phone: +44 (0) 1332 694538