Bassano del Grappa will once again be the spectacular backdrop for the arrival of the final stage of the 25th edition of “La Leggenda di Bassano – Giannino Marzotto Trophy”, a regularity race organized by the Circolo Veneto Automoto d’Epoca “Giannino Marzotto” that will run June 20–23, 2019. It will be a great route that starts in Bassano del Grappa (VI) and unwinds through enchanting landscapes encased in the splendid Eastern Alps, passing twice through Madonna del Campiglio, a true gem of the Dolomites.
But the stars of this year’s event will be the magnificent racecars—exclusively only Sport Barchettas made from 1920 to 1959— rare pieces that have made the history of sports car racing and which serve as a truly unique traveling museum.
The 25th edition of the Leggenda will begin on June 21, with the start line, as usual, in the park of the Istituto Fatebenefratelli in Ca’ Cornaro, Romano d’Ezzelino (VI). The first vehicle will leave at 12.30, officially launching the race for the “Trofeo Giannino Marzotto”. The first finish line is in Madonna di Campiglio where, at the end of the parade of vehicles in Piazza Sissi, there will be a wonderful, high-altitude dinner held in Rifugio Montagnoli.
The final stage will be on June 23; leaving as always from Madonna di Campiglio, the vehicles will descend Val Rendena towards Pinzolo, wind through the Giudicarie Valleys, and then head towards the finish line in Trento. From here the convoy will descend into the Valsugana with a stop at Borgo Valsugana, and will then continue their journey to Bassano del Grappa for the traditional parade and display in Piazza Libertà. The vehicles will remain stationary in the piazza, so they can be admired in all their splendor, gathering enthusiasts and the simply curious in the usual warm embrace that the city of Mount Grappa reserves for all of the “La Leggenda” participants. The competition ends finally with prizes, which this year will be given in the ancient cloister of the Bassano del Grappa Museum.
Some of the splendid vehicles taking part in the race include:
- Ferrari 250 MM Vignale from 1953, fresh from the Mille Miglia, in which it took part driven by the duo Gavio-Pissavini.
- Jaguar D-Type from 1955, belonging to the famous Scottish collectorGregor Fisken.
- Alfa Romeo RL from 1923, again from Britain, driven byTony Best, while the splendidAlfa Romeo 2900A “Botticella”, the vehicle that won the 1936 edition of the Mille Miglia, will be driven by Frans van Haren from Holland.
- The substantial Bentleyteam will also be present once again; this year there will be 5 examples captained by the colossal 5 litre Blower driven byEddie MacGuire.
- The Fernandez family, made up of father and two sons, will represent Spain. They will be driving three vehicles that have written the history of car racing: a Maserati 300 S from 1956 that was driven by the mythical champion from Argentina Juan Manuel Fangio; an Allard J2X from 1952 with a very powerful 8-cylinder 5400 cc engine; and finally, a splendid Porsche 718 RSK from 1959, the uncontested queen of endurance racing since the start of the 1960s.
For more information visit www.laleggendadibassano.com