Mecum’s Chicago 2018 classic and collector car auction (Oct. 25–27) enjoyed an overall sales total of $17.5 million, which constituted a 38-percent increase over 2017, as 75 percent of all 896 vehicles offered hammered sold.
After a flurry of excited bidding among the auction’s packed house, the Chicago auction’s headlining offering also became its top seller as the 1979 Porsche 930 Turbo (Lot S134) purchased new by NFL legend Walter Payton sold for $324,500. The runner-up in top sales was a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird (Lot S122) that sold for $280,500, and the headlining Tom Jellison Collection of 58 vehicles sold in its entirety for nearly $2 million overall. Jellison’s 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG (Lot S80) proved to be the top seller from his collection, and it rightfully claimed its place among the auction’s top sellers as well bringing $195,250.
The complete top 10 collector-car sales at the Mecum Chicago 2018 auction include:
- 1979 Porsche 930 Turbo (Lot S134) at $324,500
- 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird (Lot S122) at $280,500
- 2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG (Lot S80) at $195,250
- 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot S109) at $192,500
- 1968 Shelby GT500KR Convertible (Lot S144) at $165,000
- 2017 Ford Mustang Petty’s Garage (Lot S149) at $165,000
- 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot S136) at $151,250
- 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon (Lot F128) at $143,000
- 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback (Lot S188) at $126,500
- 1956 Desoto Fireflite Convertible (Lot S143) at $121,000
For access to complete auction results, sign up for the free InfoNet service offered at Mecum.com.