A 1937 Talbot-Lago T150-C SS “Goutte d’Eau” Coupé by Figoni et Falaschi known as “the Teardrop car” was the top seller at last week’s Villa Erba sale by RM Sotheby’s, bringing in a winning bid of €3,360,000 / US$3,775,195. Considered by many as one of the most attractive, aerodynamically inspired automotive designs of all time and one of the most distinctive and beautiful cars ever built, the car was a crowd-pleaser over the entire weekend.
The second-highest price paid during the sale on the shores of Italy’s Lake Como was the €3,024,000 / US$3,396,617 earned by a 1937 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante Prototype, chassis no. 57254, while setting a record for a non “S” model Type 57. The car is one of just three Atalante prototypes, and was delivered new to the Bugatti Works driver Meo Costantini with a specially tuned engine. It is one of few built by Carrosserie Bugatti and shows just 26,000 kilometers from new.
The overall sales for the auction totaled €25,355,850 / US$28,480,197, a number that included several new auction records for individual models.
“We achieved some great results this weekend,” said Augustin Sabatié-Garat, car specialist for RM Sotheby’s and the Villa Erba auction manager. ”It’s great to see that the demand for special pre-war cars is stronger than ever, and we continue to see rare, low-production supercars with excellent provenance, performing very strongly. Our track record selling rare Porsches for record-setting prices continues, and to have sold eight cars for over €1,000,000 demonstrates that the market is still strong.”
For complete information please visit www.rmsothebys.com
RM Sotheby’s Top 10 Villa Erba sales:
- 1937 Talbot-Lago T150-C SS “Goute d’Eau” Coupé €3,360,000 / US$3,775,195
- 1937 Bugatti Type 57 Atalante Prototype €3,024,000 / US$3,396,617
- 1993 Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.8 €2,016,000 / US$2,264,412
- 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS by Pininfarina €1,792,000 / US$2,012,810
- 2015 Porsche 918 Weissach Spyder €1,456,000 / US$1,635,408
- 1964 Ferrari 250 GT ‘Lusso’ €1,428,000 / US$1,603,958
- 1948 Talbot-Lago T26 Grand Sport Cabriolet €1,120,000 / US$1,258,006
- 1990 Ferrari F40 €1,064,000 / US$1,195,106
- 1961 Maserati 3500 GT Spyder €840,000 / US$943,505
- 1975 Lamborghini Countach LP400 “Periscopio” €817,600 / US$918,345